Thursday, October 7, 2010

Valencia star happy to re-unite with Nigeria

Midfielder Sunday Obayan Stephen has expressed happiness with joining up with the Super Eagles for the first time in his career ahead of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations against Guinea.
He told SuperSport.com on Thursday afternoon before heading for the team’s evening training session that though it is his first time out in the camp of the team, it is also not a new experience.
Stephen explained that it is not a new experience since a number of players in the Eagles like Obafemi Martins featured alongside with him while playing for Nigerian club, FC Ebedei, owned and managed by Churchill Oliseh. “Well I will say it is not a new experience totally for me because a number of the players in the camp are very good friends of mine. Some of us played together while we were here in Nigeria and I must say it is really exciting to re-unite with them again. But I am really happy to be in the (Nigerian) camp with all of these players and coaches for the first time,” he said.
He added that the decision to switch allegiance from Spain to Nigeria was solely taken by him. “First, I must say that I took the decision myself to play for my country of birth. I am old enough to make a decision for myself and also old enough to accept responsibility for such decision if it turns out well or not. So it wasn’t a matter of anyone telling me that I needed to take certain decision or not,” quipped the 22-year-old midfielder.
Stephen has played for the Spanish Under19, Under20 and Under21 sides between 2007 and 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment